Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Egg Casserole

I have a love/dislike relationship with Egg Casserole.  I have very fond memories of egg casseroles from my childhood.  We had these often around the holidays, or if we had overnight company and I was always hopeful for these events so I could have egg casserole and sausage balls.  Over the last 5 years or so I have made many egg casseroles, some good, some not so good.  I always get frustrated because I can never remember how to make it the way my mom did(I should just ask for her recipe, but never think to) and end up just throwing things together hoping it will work.  I've made MANY less than desirable egg messes! Well, this time I've made a hit!  So, I'm writing down my recipe and sharing it with the world.  This is a good summer version (explanation after the recipe).

Note: Be prepared to let it refrigerate overnight(10 hours) prior to cooking.
Ingredients;
6 slices english muffin bread or bread of your choosing
18 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1-2 Tbsp. chopped purple onion
2 handfuls baby spinach (can chop but not necessary)
1/2 to 1c. diced fresh cherry tomatoes
1/2 to 1lb. breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
1 handful shredded cheese
salt and pepper

Spray 9x13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.  Line with bread.  Layer spinach, tomatoes, onion, and cooked sausage crumbles in that order so there is a little on each bite.  Scramble eggs in a large bowl with milk, put in a dash or two of salt and pepper.  Pour over bread/vegetable/meat mix.  Cover with foil and put in refrigerator overnight (10 hours, might be okay after 3-4 hours but I did it overnight to save time in the morning and it was perfect.)  Place cold dish into cold oven, set to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, then turn up to 475 degrees Fahrenheit for another 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with cheese and serve. 


I say this is perfect for summer because you get the fresh pop of the cherry tomatoes and spinach.  The version I grew up with reminds me more of winter because it includes chopped green chilis, doesn't use the fresh vegetables, and is a little bit heavier.

1 comment:

  1. Jackson will be so happy. He loves "egg cake" for supper. I make a similar recipe from Kraftfoods that he is always wanting me to make for "Brinner". They'll be back tomorrow morning. Hooray!!!

    happy Wednesday,

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete