Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Paint Chip Calendar

I decided to make some tutorials for a craft party we hosted about a month ago. One of our items was a paint chip calendar.  This would be great for a monthly plan ahead menu board, chore chart, or even general memo board.  I had all these supplies on hand, but if you don't they are pretty easy to find in a big box store like Wal-Mart or Target, or you can improvise/substitute too.
 
 Gathered my supplies;
Old frame
Paint Chips
Craft Paint
Small Paint Brush
Scissors/Exacto Knife
Black Marker


First, I took the glass out of the frame and painted the frame black. 
While you have the glass out of the frame, go ahead and clean it really well.


Also, don't drop the freshly painted frame on your carpet/rug.
 Fortunately for me I was planning on getting rid of this anyway, and it cleaned up okay for the most part.

Next, I cut my paint chips to size, leaving six "boxes" along the length.
 
 The cardboard you see was already inside the frame.  If your frame doesn't have a cardboard back you can use, just cut a stiff piece of cardstock or cardboard from a box.

Next I tried to figure out spacing for the width.
 This was a bit tricky for me to just eyeball, and it ended up a little less than perfect, but it still works.

Before I glued the paint chips down I ran a black marker along the edges for definition.


Here you can see where I got really messy.

 So I made my lines a lot thicker to cover it up.
 Glued it all down and wrote the days on top, then put it back in the frame.

Now we can use dry erase markers on the glass,
At our craft party several people alternated colors or put the light/dark going opposite ways.  Make it your own and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment